Seth G Derman, MD, FACOG Fertility and Reproductive Medicine Specialist
Delaware Valley is one very few private OBGYN practices nationwide to have a fellowship-trained board certified fertility specialist as part of our group. Dr. Derman has been helping couples in the greater Princeton and Trenton areas of New Jersey grow their families for nearly two decades. He also was the leader of the team which established the first and only IVF laboratory in the Mercer County, and is the only reproductive medicine specialist with admitting privileges to the University Medical Center at Princeton. Dr. Derman has been recognized by Castle-Connolly as a regional top doctor in his subspecialty, and is listed as one of Inside Jersey Magazine's top doctors in Reproductive Endocrinology.
Dr. Derman helps couples who have been having trouble conceiving, as well as those who suffer from recurrent first trimester miscarriages. He also treats women who are not trying to have a baby and have reproductive hormone disorders such as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), endometriosis, amenorrhea, premature ovarian failure and congenital abnormalities of the reproductive system. He sees patients in our Lawrenceville NJ office, and provides services from counseling to basic treatments (fertility drugs, IUI) to more advanced therapies (IVF, ICSI, PGD, CSS) and surgical procedures when needed.
As a member of the staff of the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University Medical Center at Princeton, he has been a frequent contributor to the Health Matters column at the Princeton Packet on topics including infertility, recurrent miscarriage, IVF, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and endometriosis. He also published articles and textbook chapter on various topics in reproductive medicine and gynecology, and has been featured locally and nationally on newspapers and on television. He has also been active contributor to the practice's web presence since creating the Infertility Info Center back in 1996, one of the web's first infertility sites and is a major contributor to our practice's web content and blogs. In his spare time, he enjoys travel, photography and the outdoors.
Rutgers University, BA in Biology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
St Lukes-Roosevelt Hospital Center/Columbia University, Obstetrics and Gynecology
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Certified Mohel, Brit Milah Board of Reform Judaism
- University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro (active)
- Capital Health System at Hopewell and Regional Medical Center
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at Hamilton
- Abington Memorial Hospital
Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School of Rutgers University
HONORS AND AWARDS:
- Castle Connolly top Reproductive Endocrinologist
- Inside Jersey Magazine top NJ Reproductive Endocrinologist
- Top Reproductive Endocrinologist in NJ- Health Tap
- Elected Administrative Chief Resident by St Lukes-Roosevelt faculty
- Award for highest CREOG inservice exam (St Lukes-Roosevelt)
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
- Society of Reproductive Surgeons
- Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology
- Philadelphia Area Reproductive Endocrine Society
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Mercer County Medical Society
- Medical Society of New Jersey
PUBLICATIONS AND BOOK CHAPTERS:
- Derman SG, Rehnstrom JA, Neuwirth RS. The long term effectiveness of hysteroscopic treatment of menorrhagia and leiomyomas. Obstet Gynecol 77(4):791-4. 1991.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Fact Sheet: Female Infertility: Patient education brochure for the Endocrine Society. 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Adverse effects of fertility drugs. Drug Safety 11:408-21. 1994.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY. Ovulation Induction. Comprehensive Therapy 21(10). 1995.
- Derman SG, Peralta L. Postcoital contraception: present and future options. J Adol Health 16:6-11. 1995.
- Derman SG, McClamrock HD, Adashi EY. Regulation of the pituitary response to gonadotropin-releasing hormone, In: Gynecology and Obstetrics: Droegemueller and Sciarra JJ, eds., Volume 5. Chapter 8. 1996.
- Derman SG. Current trends in infertility diagnosis and treatment. Mercer Medicine. August 1999.
- Derman SG, Kol S, Ben-Shlomo I,Adashi EY and Payne DW. Transforming growth factor-beta-1 is an inhibitor of interleukin-1 actions in the rat ovary. J Endocrinol 160(3):415-23. 1999.
- Derman SG, Seifer DS. IVF in the older patient, Current Womens Health Reports. 2003.
- Derman SG. Gonadotropin-Induced Ovulation. In: Encyclopedia of Endocrinology and Endocrine Diseases, Martini L, Ed. Academic Press. 2004.
- Derman SG. Endometriosis. In: Encyclopedia of Endocrinology and Endocrine Diseases, Martini L, Ed. Academic Press. 2004.
- Derman SG, Seifer DS. Evaluating Infertility. In: Requisite Series in Obstetrics and Gynecology: Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility. Alvaro R, Schlaff W, Eds. Elsevier Inc. 2007.
- Derman SG, Hoover L, Ahmed H. Oolema integrity has a negative impact on IVF outcomes and is cycle specific. Fertil Steril 91(s1) p. 408. 2008.
- Derman SG, McClamrock HD and Adashi EY. "The Laparoscopically-Assisted AbdominalTubal Reanastamosis (LAATR): A Hybrid Procedure". Poster presentation at the Conjoint Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society and the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society, Montreal, Quebec, October, 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY and McClamrock HD. "Failure to Achieve Pregnancy by Superovulation with Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) and the Prognosis for Success
with More Advanced Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART)". Oral Presentation at the VIIIth World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction. Kyoto, Japan, September, 1993.
- Derman SG, Adashi EY and McClamrock HD. "Failure to Down-Regulate in Response to
Leuprolide Acetate (LA) in Patients with Hyperprolactinemia Preparing for Assisted Reproductive Technologies". Oral Presentation at the VIIIth World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Alternate Assisted Reproduction, Kyoto, Japan, September, 1993.
- Derman SG, Kol S, Ben-Shlomo I, Adashi EY and Payne DW. “Transforming growth factor-
β1: an inhibitor of interleukin-1β in the rat ovary.” Poster presentation at the 77th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington, DC, June 1995.
- Rohan RM, Ben-Shlomo I, Kol S, Ginter H, Derman S and Adashi EY. “Interleukin-1 influences expression of the insulin-like growth factor axis in primary cultures of rat ovarian cells” Poster presentation at the 77th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society, Washington, DC, June 1995.
- Ahmed H, Russell H, Bocca S, Ahmed S, Derman S. "Endometrial biopsy prior to IVF stimulation improves embryo implantation rates." Poster presentation at the 71st annual meeting of the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Baltimore, MD, October 2015.
- Derman SG. Medical specialty brings new hope to infertile couples. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 1996.
- Derman SG. When dealing with recurrent miscarriage, don’t give up hope. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2001.
- Derman SG. Dispelling some widespread myths about infertility. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2010.
- Derman SG. IVF: a step-by-step procedure. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2010.
- Derman SG. Consider the options in managing endometriosis. Health Matters column. The Princeton Packet. 2011.