Preconceptual care- planning for a healthy pregnancy
Like most things in life, one of the best ways to improve the chances for a healthy baby and a healthy pregnancy is to plan in advance. Many of our patients chose come in for a preconceptual visit before attempting pregnancy.
This is a chance to speak with an obgyn or midwife about some of the questions you may have about optimizing the chances for a successful pregnancy. Some of the topics that may come up include:
- The importance of starting folic acid before conception
- Anticipating and possibly screening for any genetic or medical issues may arise during pregnancy
- Determining what medications are OK to take in pregnancy and which ones should be stopped.
- Lifestyle modifications to help minimize the complications of pregnancy
- How to maximize your chances for pregnancy
- Determining when it is time to seek out a fertility specialist for help.